On my 40th birthday, I went to Paris. There, I fell in love with macarons. I tried to make these ridiculously tricky cookies on and off for 5+ years, without a whole lot of success. Then one fateful day a family member forwarded me a recipe she saw on Facebook of all places...and it worked!!! I have been hooked ever since. I started sharing pictures of my macaron projects on social media, and friends and family started wanting to place orders. At around the same time, I had been thinking of finding a way to do a "give back." In a nutshell, this is how Macarons on a Mission came to be!
On my birthday in July of 2019, I decided to buy this website (with birthday money from my dear Mom and Dad), and here we are. So far my macaron sales have gone towards a variety of charities that support children with special medical and developmental needs. This is borne out of a desire to give back to the many organizations that have helped my own daughter through the years, as well as paying it forward to even more organizations with similar missions.
This is a passion project for me. It makes me happy to bake the cookies and cakes, it makes my customers happy, and it makes the donation recipients happy. Win-Win-WIN. Thanks for stopping by!
Macarons on a Mission often changes up the missions, or charities it supports, seasonally. Below is a list of some which have received donations from this business:
- Miracle League NJ - A non-profit organization created for and dedicated to providing individuals with disabilities the opportunity to participate in an organized baseball league that celebrates their spirit in a non-competitive atmosphere. This was the first mission Macarons on a Mission support as Sarah's daughter plays on their baseball teams.
- Special Olympics NJ - Sarah's oldest daughter is on the SONJ gymnastics team and Sarah herself participated in the Polar Bear Plunge in February 2020.
- Ability Tree - Their vision is to come alongside families impacted by disability and equip organizations through Recreation, Education, Support, and Training (R.E.S.T.).
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation - From funding innovative research to advocating for government action to providing a support structure for our community, no other organization does more to fight type 1 diabetes (T1D) than JDRF.
- Donovan Delivers - Delivering Support to Families of Other Angels.
- Joey's Little Angels - to provide financial and emotional support for families with a child undergoing medical treatment.
- United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation - "To promote research and education for the diagnosis, treatment, and cure of mitochondrial disorders and to provide support to affected individuals and families."